Advanced Open Water Diver Course
2-3 day course expanding your diving horizons. After completion you will be certified to a maximum depth of 30m. There are no exams. You will be asked to read a small chapter and complete the relevant knowledge reviews for each dive. There are 5 dives in total. Deep and Navigation are obligatory. You can choose the remaining 3 from the following list:
- Navigation Dive (Obligatory): Learn to use a compass and begin to navigate the underwater world. Start to understand the importance of visual references. Learn how to measure distance underwater.
- Deep Dive (Obligatory): Experience your first real deep dive. Learn about how increased pressure affects the way you dive and think underwater. Crack a raw egg under water and play with the yoke whilst it float magically in front of you eyes without braking. Take a sealed plastic bottle down and watch the effect pressure has on any air space.
- Peak Performance Buoyancy Dive (Recommended for all inexperienced divers): Learn to control your buoyancy with greater efficiency and ease. This will increase your comfort underwater and improve your air consumption. Take off your fins, do somersaults, float upside down, play games. These are just a few things we can do underwater to experiment with our buoyancy. Very recommended before participating in the underwater photography or videography dives.
- Night Dive (Very Recommended): Enjoy a totally magical experience. See creature that are normally sleeping during the day. See Squids, Nudibranchs and Frog Fish. See octopus and morays out and about hunting. You might even get to see the famous Spanish Dancer feeding on the rock. At the end of the dive we may switch off ours lights. While lights are off, you will see the plankton illuminate before your eyes as you move your hands through the water. This is a dive that you would love.
- Digital Underwater Photography or Videography: Learn how to capture digitally all the wonders of the underwater world. Take the memories of your experience back home. Make all your friends and family jealous by showing them your very own copy of all the images or videos that you have captured underwater.
- Multilevel & Computer Dive: Learn the importance of dive computers. Learn how they can help you to multilevel dive, maximizing your depths & dive times in the safest possible way. Dive computer is supplied for this dive
- Drift Dive: Learn how to drift a dive site. Maintain buddy contact and avoid unintended contact with the aquatic life and bottom. Learn how to use a Signal Marker Buoy to advise the boat of your location at the end of a dive.
- Aware – Fish Identification Dive: Learn to control your buoyancy whilst observing and identifying individual fish family groups and species. Use one of our fish slates, draw diagrams, take notes or even borrow one of our underwater GoPros to assist you on your adventure. For more information on what you can see underwater in Zanzibar check out our Fish ID page.
- Underwater Naturalist Dive: Again learn to control your buoyancy whilst passively observing the abundance of Zanzibar’s aquatic life. Learn to identify vertebrates (turtles, Dolphins, Fish etc.), Invertebrates (Octopus, Cuttlefish, Shrimps etc.) and Aquatic plants. Increase your knowledge of how to preserve the aquatic environment.
Emergency First Response
(Obligatory before participating in the Rescue Course).
1 Day course that will provide you with the knowledge you require to perform CPR, First Aid and Secondary Care. Whether you are a diver or a non-diver, this course will give you the necessary skills to properly handle a potentially life threatening situation in the future. The majority of the course is practical. You will watch videos, practice skills and participate in emergency scenarios which include everything from dealing with a small graze to helping an unconscious person. Here at Spanish Dancer we know that this is a serious subject but that doesn’t mean we can not enjoy ourselves whilst we learn.
Rescue Diver Course
(Must have Emergency First Response or equivalent).
This is a 3-4 day course and covers the more serious side of Diving. But even so we can still have fun whilst we learn all about rescue in diving. This is probably the most rewarding course you will do. You will end up being a more confident and able diver. You will need to read a manual and complete an exam. Still, most of the course is taught in water and that’s where you’ll be headed from day one. This is a very hands-on course and you should be a confident diver before participation. You will learn how to assist other divers whilst thinking about your own personal safety first.
- Self Rescue: Learn to be partially self reliant and be able to help yourself in certain situations.
- Tired Diver: Learn how to assist an overexerted or a tired diver. Very useful in everyday diving.
- Panicked Diver: Learn how to approach, make contact, help and even escape the clutches of a panicked diver.
- Response from Shore, Boat or Dock (Responsive Diver): Learn how to make non water assists and safe water entry assists. This section normally takes place from our boat Mazoweya
- Distress Diver Underwater: Learn how to identify distress and assist in the appropriate manner whilst all the time keeping yourself safe.
- Surfacing an Unresponsive Diver: Learn how to surface an unconscious diver using advanced buoyancy techniques to minimize your own stress and energy output.
- Unresponsive Diver at the Surface: Learn how to tow an unconscious diver to safety whist proving life saving rescue breaths.
- Exiting an Unresponsive Diver: Learn various techniques to remove equipment and exit an unconscious diver from the water.
- First Aid and Oxygen Administration: Learn how to provide oxygen and deal with pressure related injuries. (partially covered in the EFR course)
- Response from Shore/Boat or Dock (Unresponsive Diver): Learn how to make an in water rescue to an unconscious non breathing diver.
Specialty Courses enhance your knowledge and experience within different diving environments. We require a minimum of two students for booking any of our PADI Specialty courses.
- Deep Diver: You will do 4 dives, learn everything you need to know about deep diving. Learn the effects of pressure on our body, our mind and our air consumption. You will also learn more about how to deal with the increased risks factors of being at greater depths. Once completed, you will be certified to 40m. You will need to be either an adventure diver (with deep dive) or an advanced diver to participate in this course.
- Night Diver: You will do 3 dives and learn all the skill necessary to night dive. you will even conduct one of the night dives yourself.
- Digital Underwater Photography: During this 2 day course you will be taught everything from camera operation to editing your photos on a program such as Photoshop. You will learn how to assemble the camera, how to shoot underwater picture, how to disassemble and maintain your camera. And it goes without saying all the pictures are yours to keep.
- Peak Performance Buoyancy: During the 2 dives you will be shown different techniques in buoyancy control and lung control. You will be given exercises and play games. In the end you will see a huge difference in your understanding of buoyancy in the underwater world.
- Navigation: This course consists of 3 dives. You will learn everything necessary to get you started as an underwater navigator. You will gain experience in the use of a compass, a line, a reel and even end up mapping a dive area.
- Aware: Fish Identification: During the 2 dives you will be taught how to breakdown the fish into family groups and then into species. You will record abundance and habitat and even draw unfamiliar fish to identify using our fish ID books back in the center. You can even borrow one of our free Go Pro to help you through the dives. For more information about fish species please take a look at our Fish ID page.